9.10.2006

netflix review: United 93

I don't believe I've ever gotten a knot in my stomach from watching a movie, but about 30 minutes or so into United 93 I started to feel it. The feeling didn't go away until I was able to fall asleep later that night. Knowing what you're about to see depicted is not enough to prepare you for actually sitting through this film. The suspense is tremendous because you know exactly what the people on screen are about to be confronted with. The state of confusion and lack of communication between those in authority is painfully frustrating to watch. United 93 is an immensely depressing movie.
I have yet to see World Trade Center, as I wish to watch it also from the comfort of home, but I know already that United 93 will prove to be the more powerful and memorable of the two. This film is not just about the one plane that failed to reach it's imposed destination, it's about everything that went wrong that day. Every attempt by the FAA to work with the military to try and avoid maximum destruction was thwarted, as were any actions the military tried to get approval on by those highest in command. United 93 covers all the events of 9/11, focusing on the efforts made by a few passengers, based on the facts that we know.
I don't expect it will be on top of the weekly rentals list and I doubt very many DVD copies were sold since its Tuesday release; people will watch this one when they're ready. If you do plan on watching it though, don't do it alone, you'll need the company of another human afterward so you don't find yourself thinking too much about what you just saw. Down the road when we have all the information about everything that happened on that day, I believe that United 93 will still be remembered as the definitive film about the tragedy of September 11, 2001.

1 comment:

RC said...

i really commend Brian Greengrass for the thoughtfulness he put into directing this film.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com