9.12.2006

update: Jackson busy with other dragons

So it seems that Peter Jackson may not be doing The Hobbit after all, but I guess that's okay because it sounds like he's got a new project to be excited about. It's called 'Temeraire', based on a series of novels of the same name, by Naomi Novik. I looked up the books and they sound really interesting. The concept of the stories is that during the Napoleonic era, dragons are used as a sort of air force.

"'Temeraire' is a terrific meld of two genres that I particularly love -- fantasy and historical epic," states Jackson about acquiring the rights. "I can't wait to see Napoleonic battles fought with a squadron of dragons. That's what I go to the movies for."

This sounds like a really great project and I would love to see it done, but at what cost? Will Temeraire be a fair substitute for Jackson's version of The Hobbit?

If you still want to read more about the proposed Hobbit movie, head over to Looking Closer Journal where Jeffrey has some good ideas.

In other news, the film Death Of A President will get a U.S. theatrical release and the Borat movie gets good reviews from Toronto.

No comments: