1.19.2007

Genre: The Romantic Comedy

After I made my post about The Fountain and Sci/Fi films I decided to discuss another genre, one that until recently, I cringed at the mention of: The Romantic Comedy. I've come to appreciate a good Rom/Com ever since my wife and I began dating two years ago. In that time there has been a few great examples of the genre but along the way there has been a lot of stinkers as well. Then I read this post about the current lack of good Romantic Comedies. These guys make an interesting point that the genre has evolved into many sub-genres. Obviously this transformation didn't happen overnight; over the last decade there have been some major shifts in direction for these types of films.
I think that there are a select few really good films in this genre. Then there are those many well-made attempts. Finally, there a whole bunch that all feel the same and end up being a waste of time watching because, essentially, you've seen it before (of course this thinking applies to every genre). Here's a list I found of some great Rom-Coms.
I just wanted to state that I'm more willing to watch these films now that I am married, even though I don't have a lot of interest in most of them. The good ones make it worth it. Oh, and the whole spending-time-and-watching-a-movie-with-my-wife thing helps too.

3 comments:

meryl321 said...

"The Wedding Singer."

Reel Fanatic said...

I'm honored that you would think I ever compiled a "great" list of anything .. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.