5.11.2007

Spidey = emo kid?

"Spider-Man 3" came out last Friday, and I had a feeling it was going to be record-breaking even at that point, before the box office figures came in Monday morning. We were there for the 9:30 show, and we were actually being seated by ushers, asking how many people we had in our group (we had six). We ended up sitting in the fourth row, a little too close for comfort.

I think it was pretty good. A little silly at some points, but that's okay for a comic-based film. Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker showed a new side-- wild and fun-loving at first, but breeding into something a little more sinister, eventually. I loved how Peter Parker's "dark side" looked suspiciously like the lead singers of many of today's whiny punk bands. Black eyeliner and all.

The biggest complaints I am hearing are about the villains; too many, and Venom was butchered. I think it can be agreed James Franco's character was a must, to wrap up that ongoing story. So, Sandman or Venom? I think Sandman was better created, but the filmmakers knew fans wanted to see Venom come into the films. Maybe it would have been best to wait.

Topher Grace plays a great smarmy Eddie Brock, rival photographer to Peter Parker (and determined to "catch Spider-Man with his hand in the cookie jar"), but he can't pull off how menacing Venom is meant to be. He's not big enough, and I can't picture VENOM still having the voice of Grace. Shouldn't he sound as demonic as he looks?

Mary Jane is given a lot of exposure in this film, showing a couple more facets to her character. She too has her own life, and doesn't ENTIRELY exist to be rescued again and again by Spider-Man. I know a lot of people don't think Dunst was the best choice for the role, but I think she does well, especially in this third installment.

The film's theme of facing your own dark side is conhesive with previous films' idea of "with great power comes great responsibilty." I appreciated the duality of the red and black suits, and thought Maguire did well pulling off both personalities.

The movie runs 2:20, probably due to cramming so much in, so go see it earlier than I did.

No comments: