7.03.2006

minding the business

So the word is that Superman Returns didn't produce big enough returns during it's opening week, how is this possible you ask? It made and estimated $84.2 million from Tuesday night through Sunday for crying out loud, why is that not a success story? Well to be honest the film cost Warner Brothers upwards of $250 million to produce and publicize, and Spiderman 2 and X-men 3 all made more than Supes in did their 3 day+ weekends... and the dreaded Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is coming out this friday. So, actually the booted one's producers have plenty to be fearful of.

What did I think of the movie you ask? I thought it was amazing; It had action, it was heartfelt, Brandon Routh was so Christpher Reeve as Clark Kent and he made Superman his own. I won't even question the special effects, there is no need, they were real to me. The liberties that the filmmakers took with the Superman legacy are acceptable as long as they capitalize on the changes made, and I am sure that they will. In my opinion, the film is a huge success.

Not much else to report, though John Woo will not be making his versions of Spyhunter (based on an old video game) or He-man (based on an even older cartoon, a childhood favorite of mine at that), at least anytime soon. I could live without Spyhunter (Vin Deisel was rumored to star) but I would love to see a He-man film, especially a John Woo-ed version. What do you all think? Who should play Prince Adam? Do not say Dolph Lundgren...

No comments: