7.24.2006

a sequel worth seeing

I saw Clerks II over the weekend. There is much to say about it. I came out of the theatre feeling satisfied with the ending, and thinking it had been a pretty funny movie. Could have done without the donkey show, but that's my only big complaint.

Being a fan of the original, low-budget 1994 Kevin Smith gem, I was excited for a sequel, but also hesitant. Was Smith taking his New Jersey-based cult classic franchise too far? "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" had been one inside joke after another. However, I think Clerks II may be enjoyed by Smith fans and newcomers alike.

There were many homages to the original, such as an updated Star Wars debate, this time between a Lord of the Rings fanatic and Randall, who doesn't recognize LOTR as a trilogy. The debate itself is hysterical, but I wonder if Smith couldn't think of a way to end it. I can picture him thinking, how do I wrap this up? What if one of the characters spontaneously pukes? Yeah, that's a great conversation-stopper. As much of a fan as I am of unexpected vomiting, I think Smith should further avoid writing himself into corners.

The high school kid, played by Trevor Fehrman, did a great job in this as an awkward Jesus-loving, LOTR obsessed Transformers geek, who is clearly the current butt of Randal's jokes, taking a little bit of a load off of Dante. Kevin Smith's wife, Jennifer, wasn't as impressive as Fehrman; I couldn't tell what she was trying to make her character out to be, either a prim and proper cake-baking trophy wife, or a bra-flashing trailer trash wife.

Rosario Dawson was really good; she has proven to be a very versatile actress, excelling in roles as different as Sin City, Rent, and Alexander. She is sufficiently charming in Clerks II as the other love interest of Dante's. Playing the boss everyone wishes they could work for, Dawson shines as a reason to stay in New Jersey.

This film was raunchier than the original, and yet softer. Randal had very little weakness in Clerks, but getting older seems to have made him slightly more sentimental. I kept waiting for him to turn on Dante as he did so often in the original, but he seemed to be a little more sincere in this one.

No comments: