8.08.2006

how soon is to soon?

World Trade Center is coming out tomorrow, a release date that is a little over a month shy of the 5th anniversary of the attacks in NYC. For the paper I write for I had the opportunity last week to interview some local fire fighters and police officers and ask what they think about a 9/11 movie being made. The answers varied, as expected. Here's some of the quotes I got, for those interested:

"Personally, I have shied away from this kind of stuff," said a local fire fighter. "Even documentaries. I'm not ready for Hollywood's version either."

The fire fighter added that while it's nice to be honored by Hollywood, glorifying fire fighters and police officers hasn't really done any true service to what he and other officials do.

However, a local police officer praised the makers of World Trade Center for doing their research. Michael Pena spent time living with the Port Authority man he portrays in the film, Officer William Jimeno.

"I'll probably see it," said the police officer. "I know it was approved by some of the fire fighters and police officers involved. They're the ones who have been through the tragedy more than us as a nation... we as citizens should respect that."

I spoke with many others, but this is a sample of some of what is being said about the film. I think I'm on the fence on this one, but I'm keeping an open mind and I'll go see the movie as well.

No comments: