8.10.2006

live free like pirates or die hard like spiders

Here's a tentative but mostly official release schedule for the summer of 2007:

May 4: Spider-Man 3
May 18: Shrek the Third
May 25: Pirates of The Caribbean: At World's End
June 8: Ocean's Thirteen
June 15: Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer
June 22: Evan Almighty
June 29th: Live Free or Die Hard
July 4: Transformers
July 13: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
July 27: The Simpsons Movie
August 3: The Bourne Ultimatum
August 10: Rush Hour 3

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I have to say it's an impressive, yet boring lineup. Every single one of these is either the latest in a franchise; a spinoff from a previous summer movie; or based on a TV show. But again I'm torn; I actually want to see most of these movies. In fact I have a moderate to strong desire to see all of these films with the exception of Rush Hour 3, a movie I have little to no interest in seeing (which is the same way I felt about Rush Hour 2).

I guess this is the kind of stuff that we expect from summer movies (Michael Bay will never win an Oscar) but with this volume of franchise releases I don't see how any original films are going to be able to garner any mass attention, let alone any money at the box office. I guess filmmakers with fresh ideas will have to fight over the other 8 months of the year. However, as a fan of box office trends I am anxious to see how obscene the grosses generated by the month of May alone will be with the Spiderman, Shrek and Pirates threequels. For the record, the films I'm most anticipating are: Spiderman 3, The Bourne Ultimatum and Harry Potter 5.

3 comments:

meryl321 said...

That's a pretty good post title.

RC said...

i did a post similarly about a week ago...a whole lot of #3's and sequels, etc. this year.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

NATHANIEL R said...

i'm terrified by this post. and i thought THIS summer was bad. jeepers