8.29.2006

netflix review: Infernal Affairs

I finally sat down and watched Infernal Affairs last night, and oh man, I can't wait for The Departed. I hate to say it, but Scorsese may be biting off more than he can chew. I mean it's hard to remake a movie unless you do it better but I fear the master himself, even with the impressive cast he put together, may not be up to the challenge.

Infernal Affairs stars Tony Leung Chui Wai and Andy Lau (who co-directs) as yin and yang; Leung plays a cop who's been undercover for ten years with the mafia and Lau plays a gangster who has infiltrated and worked his way up to a high position in the police force. Both sides learn they have a traitor in their midsts and focus all efforts toward sniffing the other sides' planted mole. The intertwined plots will confuse you, I promise but if you pay attention you will be rewarded by a well-crafted good guy-bad guy morality play.

Definitely worth renting (I may even buy it) and when The Departed comes out I will be first in line to see if Scorsese makes the story his own. I you like gangster movies or Chinese action flicks than this one's for you.

No comments: